Great is the lust for radiant, glowing skin and Flair teamed up with Future Aesthetics Medical Spa to bring you the details on the growing beauty trend of dermaplaning/oilplaning.
Simply put, dermaplaning is the use of a medical scalpel (a kind of sharp blade) to remove dead skin cells and those little hairs on your face known as zellus hairs or peach fuzz. Oilplaning is pretty much the same, but instead of shaving the face dry, Future Aesthetics has added a specially formulated hydrating oil to the skin before shaving. One could consider it an intricate exfoliation method. It is said to remove fine lines and acne scarring while leaving skin as soft and smooth as a baby’s bottom.
After setting the appointment, an email was sent to me with a few prep tips:
- Discontinue any manual/physical exfoliation three to five days prior.
- Avoid extreme sun exposure for five-seven days prior to the service. If you are red or burned, you must wait 14 days before receiving treatment.
- No shaving, lasering, chemical peels, waxing, or aggressive exfoliators one week prior to your oilplaning treatment.
- Do not drink alcohol 24 hours before treatment.
As I walked into Future Aesthetics, warm smiles from friendly staff greeted me and they offered me some strawberry-flavoured water paired with butter cookies. I took my seat and proceeded to fill out a detailed medical history form. A door opened to a beautiful urban-chic designed room where I was introduced to Medical Aesthetic Technician Waizero. She explained the process and expected results. This was the beginning of putting my best face forward!
First, the skin was prepped with cleansers and oils, then the actual oilplaning process began. I’m not sure why I was expecting to feel some amount of pain but that was a huge misconception. The process was painless and so soothing that I caught myself dozing off a few times. My favourite part, however, was what came after – the vampire mask which was applied to my face, covering everything but my nostrils.
Ladies and gentlemen, I was not prepared for what I saw when I looked in the mirror. My skin was healthy and hydrated!
- Avoid heat, saunas, hot tubs, and sweaty activity for 24 hours – this includes exercise of any kind.
- Avoid products containing any exfoliating agents (retinoic acid, retinol, tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, astringents, etc.) for 24 hours after treatment.
- Wear sunscreen and reapply every two hours.
- Don’t forget to moisturise!
Curious to see how this procedure was done, along with the products used and an aftercare solution from Dr Terrelong-Lee herself? Follow us on social media @flairja where you’ll see the exclusive video! Also, follow @futureaestheticsja or visit them at 1 Brompton Road to see if oilplaning is right for you!
Story by Jessica Harrison
Photos by Nicholas Nunes