Experts have always recommended focusing on the eyes and lips to really stand out with or without a mask. While many women had abandoned their make-up routines due to mask mandates, sometimes the occasion calls for more. With the visible zone being your blinkers, it’s only natural for your eyes to be your shining glory.
Flair enlisted make-up artists Jody-Ann Ramsay, Nicolina Diabo and Kayan Merritt, and each shared a signature look relying heavily on eyeshadow.
SOFT, BUT DRAMATIC
Ramsay usually goes for soft neutral colours for her everyday look. But with the pandemic and mandated mask-wearing, she decided to jazz things up eye-wise. “Lashes, eyebrows and eye make-up are essential to achieve this look, as well as powder. I was inspired by beautiful hues of purples and pinks from The Festival by Juvia’s, as well as Hudabeauty’s neon palette to let my eyes pop.” This look, she said, is representative of her personality: soft, but dramatic.
Diabo, a fan of disposable masks, decided to create a look that matched, whether she chooses to head out in the available option of blue or pink. First off, she did her brows and primed her eyes. Next up was the blue and pink effect, “To pull off this look, I used pink eyeshadow with a blue-winged liner by using my Juvia’s palette and Suva beauty hydra liners,” she revealed. The MUA then popped on some lashes, and was ready to go. “I consider this look a nice Sunday fun day vibe,” she added.
RAY OF SUNSHINE
Merritt opted to capitalise on a bleak day by adding some sunshine to her look. And because she is all about the sparkle, she incorporated a touch of glitter to really shine through her day. “I decided to play around with some of my favourite make-up and even tested palettes and other beauty products that I recently bought, but haven’t gotten a chance to use them as yet because of this lockdown and the pandemic.”
Although the star of her make-up look is her eyes, she applied a full face, just in case you want to use this look for brunch or an early date night. It is important to note that she starts with her eyes first, just in case eyeshadow falls on the face. Then she cleans up and completes her face with primer, foundation and powder.
Want to try this look? Merritt shared the tips below.
- Playing in Make-up by Yolanda – JAMROCK palette and white eyeshadow base
- Neon pigment eyeshadow Powders in (neon yellow and neon purple) from @MirrorMirrorja
- Juvia’s Place (Warrior and The Nomad Palettes)
- Mink Lashes and 2-in-1 eye-liner and lash adhesive from My Kollection ‘Get Slayed Kollection’
- NYX Glitter Primer
- Yellow glitter from @Glitteraddict876 on Instagram
- Apply Mary Kay Face Primer to your clean face.
- Base your eyelids with the white eyeshadow base from Playing in Make-up by Yolanda: JAMROCK palette for that colourful glam.
- Apply the neon pigment eyeshadow powder from the start of your eyelids, three-quarters of the way through, and then add the neon purple to the outer corner of your lid.
- Add white eyeshadow (Juvia’s Place Warrior and The Nomad Palettes) in the inner crease.
- From there, apply the NYX Glitter Primer to your lids and get festive with the Yellow Glitter from Glitter Addict 876 on the neon yellow eyeshadow on your lids.
- Mary Kay Face Primer
- Juvia’s Place I AM MAGIC Foundation
- Black Opal Creme Stick Foundation
- Crown Pro Banana Powder to set all the liquid make-up in place
- Juvia’s Place The Royalty I Loose Highlighter
- Homemade Rosewater Facial Set In Spray by Get Slayed Kollection
- Milani lip colour (optional)
- Milani Pressed Powder to finish it all
- Apply I AM MAGIC Foundation from Juvia’s Place all over your face for full coverage.
- Contour with the Black Opal Creme Stick Foundation to add warmth to this look and blend it all in.
- Highlight with Juvia’s Place foundation stick, and then set all the liquid make-up in place with the Crown Pro Banana Powder.
- Next, it’s time to get blushing: Merritt used two ombre shades from Juvia’s Place Warrior palette as her blush, setting it all in with homemade Rosewater Facial Set In Spray by Get Slayed Collection.
- Apply the 2-in-1 eye-liner and lash adhesive, and then put on your mink lashes.
- Finish it all with Milani Pressed Powder and wear your mask.
For a complete look: Line the lips and apply the Milani nude lip colour to complement your sunshine eyes naturally.